Friday, May 18, 2012

Endometrial Hyperplasia and Squamous morules

Since Miriam's birth in 2009, my periods have been out of whack.  I was nursing Miriam until she weened herself at 6 months.  All the books said that it can take up to 2 years before periods are normal after a birth, but mine never got back.  When I did bleed, the flow was heavy and lasted for weeks instead of days.  I had no pain.

The doctor wanted to put me on Provera pills for 5 days every 30 days.  "We'll do a pregnancy test.  If it's negative, you do the 5 days of Provera then have a period.  That way, if you are not ovulating, your uterus can empty out.

I was hesitant to do this for more than a couple of months.  "If my body can regulate my hormones so well to give birth and nurse," thought I, "then certainly it will come back to normal."  Well, that was 2010 and it didn't.  I saw my primary and she recommended an ultrasound to figure out if I had PCOS or some other problem that was interfering with proper function.  

The lining looked thick and there was a small "polyp" seen.  I freaked out because of that word, "polyp" means a pre-cancerous lesion if you are talking about the colon.  My doctor assured me that this is not the case with the endometrium, but he wanted to do a biopsy of the endometrium.

I got those results this past week.  "Hyperplasia without atypia" was the diagnosis.  He said that, if it doesn't go away, there is a good chance it would turn into cancer.  He said that that was only if I didn't try doing intensive Provera for 3 months and a big bleed to clean everything out.  I've taken the Provera since Monday, but no bleeding yet.  Any information I find online mentions that women bleed after they finish the Provera, but that's for the 5 day cycle, not the 3 month one.

I'm getting really nervous, but I've felt some cramping.  A period is on its way.  I cried in my husband's arms last night.  I feel abandoned and discounted because I'm obese.  I feel written off.  It's hard to say exactly why, but I know that my feelings are not baseless.

I'll put an update on this post when I finally do bleed.  I'm sure some other woman wonders when the hell she will start bleeding too.  If you are her, don't worry.  Eat your veggies, enjoy the sunshine, and be positive.  DON'T read internet articles before bed (or any time really) because it will drive you insane.  I'm praying for you.  If there is an addendum to this post then I'm out of the woods.  Right now I am not and I'm scared.  I know what you're going through and I'm praying for you.  Chin up!

If you googled the following, this should come up.
Provera treatment hyperplasia when will I bleed?
When will the heavy bleeding stop?
Treatment with provera for hyperplasia

May 26,
Two weeks since beginning the pills. No bleeding yet but some cramping and rumbling down there.  LOTS of mood swings.  I cry at the drop of a hat and have all sorts of unrealistic negative thoughts.  I know they aren't real.  This is like PMS on steroids! 

I called the doctor to see if this is all normal.  He says that it is.  Not to worry.  The bleeding will begin within the 3 months and may be quite heavy.  I just need to wait.

May 27
Spotting!  It's beginning.  I'm so relieved.

June 3
Well, it was just spotting and has remained just spotting, so light, a panty liner is more than enough.  I think that tide might turn soon.  Gosh I'm irritable, so pissy.  Everything just annoys me.  Urgh!

June 6
Flow has finally started, along with cramps that are like preliminary labor.   This is not like a regular period, it increased slowly and will probably get pretty heavy.  It took 3 1/2 weeks for the bleeding to really begin.  I'll write more if it stops before the three months are up.

My bowels have been really crazy.  Some constipation, lots of gas, and pain from the gas, culminating in monumental poops that lowered my weight by about 3-5 pounds today!  Man, these fake hormones are tough.  I need to keep on plant based eating to get my body in balance again.

June 7
Passing clots/tissue the size of a quail egg every 30-45 minutes.  I had to go home yesterday because I bled through my clothing and was having severe cramping and felt terrible.  I got home and showered and slept for hours.  It's so tough.

June 10
Bleeding is getting lighter.  Instead of soaking cloth diapers by the dozen, I can go to pads and maybe even pads for sleeping.  Cramping is gone.  My womb is very tired from all the contractions, it feels almost bruised.  Clots are much smaller and not every time I use the bathroom.  So, it's like giving birth.  About 5 days of labor and delivery then a regular menstrual bleed.  At least, that is what is is for me.

September: another biopsy, finding of squamous morules.  Doctor says that these are found in the company of cancer or pre-cancer, yet no such cells were found in my biopsy.  Doctor suggests a D&C to scrape out all tissue in the uterus and analyze them.

October: NO ABNORMAL CELLS, NO ATYPIA.  The squamous morules must have been caused by the treatment itself, NOT by cancer or pre-cancer.  The doctor said that the study I found was just an anomaly, but evidently not.  It was me! Maybe it's you.  Here is what I've found.

  • my abnormal periods happened after the birth of my child.  Obviously the two are linked!  It wasn't a condition that was developing over years (cancer), it was a condition that was the result of hormonal shock from birth
  • my periods became absolutely normal after the intense provera treatment
  • I was very depressed and had thoughts of suicide during provera treatment, does this mean that I respond normally to the hormones?  THEY SUCK.
  • Plant-based eating helped to restore the periods.

No comments:

Post a Comment